The West Virginia Homeowners Rescue Program is CLOSED to all new claims and applications. Visit www.wvhomeresuce.com for more information. You may check the status of your application by logging into the application portal

ATTENTION: Both Single-Family and Multi-Family Borrower Portals will be down for maintenance beginning 7 p.m. Friday, July 19 through Monday, July 22. Click here for other payment options. We apologize for the inconvenience. 


The Movin’ Up Home Loan Program is an exciting new mortgage finance option offered by the West Virginia Housing Development Fund.

The Movin’ Up Program has been designed to help moderate-income homebuyers purchase a new residence. Unlike our more commonly known homebuyer programs, Movin’ Up does not have a first-time homebuyer requirement and is geared toward home buyers who might have outgrown their current residence or just want to make a change.


Or contact a team member in our single-family loan originations department .

Click here for the current rate for the Movin’ Up Program

Eligible Borrowers – To qualify for a Movin’ Up Program loan, two criteria must be met.

  1. The statewide income limits are set at $130,560 for a one or two-person household and $152,320 for a household of three or more.
  2. The house to be purchased must not exceed the house price limits in the county where the home is being purchased. 

House Price and Income Limits

2024 House Price and Income Limits (5/31/2024)

Is there a first-time home buyer requirement? No. There is no first-time homebuyer rule for this program. That doesn’t exclude those who may be first-time homebuyers, but it is not a requirement.

What kind of home can I purchase? Single-family structures, townhomes and units in approved Planned Unit Developments or condominiums and new double-wide manufactured homes. All must be located in West Virginia.

Is there an acreage limit? There is no acreage limit with this program.

New Construction and Permanent Financing – Permanent financing is available for newly constructed homes. Construction financing is not available.

What types of mortgage insurance does the Fund accept? We take all mortgage insurance including FHA, VA, USDA and private mortgage insurance. 

Do I have to participate in Homebuyer Education/Counseling? 

Homebuyer Education/Counseling is required for both the Movin’ Up and Homeownership programs on conventionally insured or uninsured loans.  On the government insured loans (FHA, VA, and USDA) follow the insuring agencies guidelines for Homebuyer Education/Counseling requirements.  Information on counseling providers in West Virginia may be found here or with your mortgage insurance (MI) provider.

Update – Our requirement that income from all household occupants over the age of 18, excluding those dependents who are enrolled as a full-time student, is being amended to only include the “income of all parties on the note and/or taking title to the property.”

*Please note that any and all APR calculations presented throughout the wvhdf.com website will be based on a sales price of $100,000 with a 5 percent down payment.

** Movin’ Up Special is for potential applicants whose qualifying income is at or below 80 percent of Area Median Income for their federally-designated census tract. The program’s features include a reduced interest rate as compared to the regular Movin’ Up program and lower cost Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI). For more information, please contact the Fund at 1 800 933 8511.

Are You Ready for Homeownership?

Buying a home is a big decision, and not one that should be taken lightly. There’s a lot a potential homeowner must consider, including their credit history and financial situation.

Before you call us to begin the mortgage process, we encourage you to watch the short video below to help you determine if you’re ready for homeownership. 

Use our Mortgage Inquiry tool to submit your personal information electronically. This is NOT a loan application.