A Message To Customers Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19).

***Please click here to learn more about The Mountaineer Rental Assistance Program***

We are closely monitoring the recent health advisories regarding this pandemic. As it has always been, the safety and security of our customers and team members remains our highest priority. Our hearts and thoughts go out to the people who have been affected by this unprecedented event. …




The Project-Based Section 8 (PBCA) Program provides rental assistance for extremely low- to moderate-income residents living in certain apartment complexes throughout West Virginia. The subsidy is tied to specific complexes and paid directly to the owner on behalf of the resident. The rental subsidy does not follow the resident from property to property.

WVHDF works to ensure property owners, management agencies, and residents adhere to the requirements of the program. If you are a resident and have concern about your apartment or assistance, you must first contact the property manager or on-site personnel. If you need further assistance, you can contact WVHDF at 888-334-6065, 304-391-8630 or Section 8 Contract Administration.

Tenant Concerns Informational Sheet

Section 8 State & County Information

PHA Contact Info – Listed By County (231.3 KB)
Download PDF View PDF

Section 8 Properties – Listed Alphabetically (513.7 KB)
Download PDF View PDF

Section 8 Properties – Listed By Country (437.3 KB)
Download PDF View PDF

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act)

The Violence Against Women’s Reauthorization Act, Final Rule, published in the Federal Register on November 16, 2016, implements and enhances the housing protections authorized in the Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA).  The enhancements include providing protections for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking.  VAWA protections are not only available to women, but are available equally to all individuals regardless of sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation.  HUD’s implementation regulations are effective December 16, 2016.

Notice H 2017-05 – Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization Act of 2013 provides guidance to owners/agents of HUD multifamily assisted housing on the requirements of VAWA.  However, this notice does not encompass every aspect of the VAWA Final Rule and should be used in conjunction with the VAWA Final Rule.

HUD has required certain forms and notifications for applicants and tenants to comply with the VAWA final rule and has posted these and additional resources on its VAWA Web Page.  The forms are model forms and HUD advises owners/agents to customize them for their property, as long as they contain the same information and language.  The forms can be found at HUDClips and are included below.

In addition, requiring properties to have an Emergency Transfer Plan (ETP) is a new requirement under the VAWA Final Rule.  To help owners/agents in the development of their ETP, HUD has provided a model plan, form HUD-5381 (see documents below).  The form can be found at HUDClips and is included below.

Helpful Links

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) - Documents

Chart Of VAWA Requirements (7.1.18) (808.5 KB)
Download PDF View PDF

HUD 5380 – Notice Of Occupancy Rights Under VAWA (57.7 KB)
Download DOC

HUD 5381 – Model Emergency Transfer Plan (54.1 KB)
Download DOC

HUD 5382 – Certification Of Domestic Violence (56.1 KB)
Download DOC

HUD 5383 – Emergency Transfer Request (52.9 KB)
Download DOC

HUD 91067 – Section 8 VAWA Lease Addendum (47.0 KB)
Download DOC

Fair Housing 

The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing.  Basically, the act protects everyone’s basic right to choose where to live and ensures equal treatment after obtaining housing.  The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.

In addition, there continues to be questions in regard to assistance animals and service animals.  HUD has issued a Notice on Service Animals and Assistance Animals for People with Disabilities in Housing (FHEO-2013-01). The Notice explains the circumstances under which the Fair Housing Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act may require housing providers to allow applicants and tenants to use “service” and “assistance” animals. Importantly, HUD explains that housing providers must accommodate applicants and tenants who need an “assistance animal” which includes any animal that “works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability.”

Helpful Links