***Please note that an application must be completed and submitted with any documents below.  See the link above “Begin Application” to start the application process.***

What documents do I need to complete my application?

To determine program eligibility, all applicants must provide certain documents. Before starting your application, please gather the following items.

  1. You need a signed, current lease agreement. If you do not have a signed, current lease. Please download and complete one of the following forms:

    The Certification of Landlord/Tenant Relationship Form – this form is for you and your landlord to sign
    Only if your landlord will not cooperate, download the Tenant’s Self-Certification of Lease

    If you are related to the landlord or are an employee of the landlord, you will need additional documents. Please follow the instructions in the application.

  2. You need proof of identification for the head of household applying for assistance. You can use any one of the following as proof of your ID:
    • Driver’s license
    • Original or certified copy of a state issued birth certificate
    • Valid, unexpired US Passport or US Passport card
    • If foreign born, valid, unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS) document(s) or acceptable alternatives as outlined below:
      • Permanent Resident Card (Form I‐551) issued by DHS (or INS)
      • Employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS, Form I‐766 or Form I‐688B
      • Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS, Form N‐550 or Form N‐570
      • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N‐560 or Form N‐561, issued by DHS
      • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State, Form FS‐240, DS‐1350 or FS‐545
      • Foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved
      • I‐94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States
  3. You need proof of residency to prove that you live at the rental unit address. You can use any one of the following to show proof of residence:
    • Current Utility Bill evidencing resident’s address,
    • WV Voter’s Registration Card,
    • WV Driver’s License,
    • Proof of WV Public Assistance,
    • Personal Property Tax Records,
    • 2020 W‐2,
    • WV Weapons Permit, or
    • Valid WV Vehicle Registration Card.
    • Pay Stub with current address
    • WV DMV Affidavit of WV Residency
    • SS Benefits Letter
    • US Selective Service Card
  4. If you are seeking assistance for utilities, you will need your most recent utility bill dated within 30 days of the date you are applying for assistance.

  5. You need proof of your income. Each person 18 or over living in the home must provide proof of income.  The easiest way to document your income is to provide your completed 2020 Tax Return Form 1040. If members of the household 18 or older file separate tax returns, you will need the tax return for each. You may also choose to provide proof of income by providing information of your earnings over the past 60 days. This information must be provided for each household member 18 or over that has income.  You will need documents for each of the following types of income you receive:
    • Wages, salary, tips, bonus, commissions, etc.
    • Severance pay
    • Worker’s Compensation
    • Interest/dividend from assets, including bank accounts
    • Net income from the operation of a business or profession
    • Income from Self-Employment, including direct sales consulting (i.e. Mary Kay, Tupperware), Uber/Lyft services, and online sales
    • Unemployment benefits
    • Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Annuities, pensions, and retirement funds (i.e. IRA, 401K)
    • Insurance policies, disability, death benefits, or other similar types of periodic receipts
    • Alimony or child support
    • Regular contributions or gifts received from organizations or other persons not residing in the dwelling (including online donations such as GoFundMe, or through a local bank)
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    • All regular pay, special pay, and allowances of a member of the Armed Forces, except the special pay to a family member serving in the Armed Forces who is exposed to hostile fire (e.g., in the past, special pay included Operation Desert Storm)

Note: If the household member is 18 years or older (excluding the head of household and spouse), is a dependent, and is a full-time student, then only the first $480 is included as income.

Household members 18 years or older that are unable to provide documentation for their income, must provide a written Attestation of Income.  This form should be used only for members 18 years and older that can’t provide supporting documentation for their income due to extenuating circumstances related to the pandemic, disabilities, lack of technological access, or if the income was received in cash. This form is a part of the application process. You do not need to download in advance.